Green roof finished and watered

After a short break whilst I was catching grass snakes on the M25 we have finished building the green roof. The final part involved mixing a substrate with a 20-30% organic content, we managed to find a local source of hardcore to mix with this and create something for growing in.

Adding the substrate to the roof

It took a while to get the stuff up there as we didn’t want to carry heavy buckets up to the roof. Once we had filled in the gaps between the drainage pebbles we sowed a wildflower mix. Finally we added a few areas of crushed brick and a log to provide a few habitats for invertebrates. We finished just in time for the weather to break and along with the thunder and lightning there was plenty of rain to help it all bed in. Now we just have to wait and see what grows.

The completed roof

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *